Tuesday, November 5, 2019

I'm a Convert

After resisting the idea for many years, primarily due to fear, I finally tried my hand at a figure conversion that involved more than trimming of some bit or a paint conversion. The result isn't radically different - not like, say, a Soviet rifleman to a 19th C. Samurai - but it was extremely satisfying.

Marx re-cast Grenade thrower + Marx re-cast Officer (these are not the ones I used for the conversion)

Indeed, I greatly underestimated the degree of satisfaction. Maybe it's the manual labor (no matter how minuscule) involved that lends a sense of greater accomplishment?

Became this proof of concept. I trimmed up the shoulder a bit more per Ross's suggestion on my previous post of this figure and it made a world of difference.
The finished product: Soviet officer with a grenade. (Please pardon my sloppy painting - particularly on the hat. Close up photos reveal the awful truth.)


And so a monster has been born - I suddenly find myself looking at my unpainted plastic thinking, "what else could this figure be?"

In mind at present:
  • convert a standing Soviet SMG figure into a flamethrower operator - use green stuff to make a tank and hose, convert the SMG to a rifle of sorts (they tried to disguise their flamethrowers as ordinary rifles).
  • convert a prone German MG figure into a PzB 39 figure - I believe this is simple as moving the bipod legs back farther, and a paint conversion.
  • convert a prone Soviet MG figure into a Soviet mine detector - remove the bipod and trim off the gun sight/stock details - or replace the gun of wire - and either way add a loop on the end.
  • For my colonial Russians, convert some riflemen in close combat poses into the crew for the Russian gatling gun
I have to say, I only wish I had tried this sooner.

16 comments:

  1. Great end product and l look forward to seeing your next one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I already have the figures out and ready to start, so it's just a matter of finding some time.

      Delete
  2. Be warned - this can be a slippery slope! Before you know it you'll have a box full of headless torsos and random legs. Or so I've been told by er, a friend...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like I'll have my own little box of horrors! Honestly, I fear for my wallet - suddenly those job lots of figures on ebay got a lot more justifiable.

      Delete
  3. I find it easier to paint conversions or multipart figures because of the pride in building them. Conversions can also lead to some dashing character figures for skirmish games. Awesome work as always!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Reese! You know, now that you mention it, I really enjoyed painting the Soviet MG teams, probably for that reason (and despite the hassle of building the Maxims, I hope to build some more weapon teams kits).

      Delete
  4. Great work John, very effective.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The figure looks good and without knowing you would not pick it as a conversion. Its always good when you try something and it all comes together.

    ReplyDelete
  6. John,
    Please don't insult your painting skill--let the rest of us take care of that. Ho ho. Actually, I think he looks fine. Soldiers in real life never look as neat and tidy as the models on our tables. So a stripe or rim or whatever isn't perfect--so what? Chalk it up to dirt, wear and tear, somebody sat on it, whatever. And go on to the next one!

    Best fregards,

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Chris! Sometimes it's good to put perspective on these things.

      Cheers!
      - John

      Delete
  7. Excellent work!

    (and great ideas for more figures) When cutting, trimming, putty and bits of wire get old, then there is the whole world of low heat soldering irons and melted and fused plastic to explore.

    Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ross! Melted and fused plastic? There's so much to learn!

      Delete
  8. A brave conversion, John. Keep going now you've started.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Mark! I plan to. There's definitely an addictive quality to it - there's just something about seeing tangible results for the effort.

      Delete