Wednesday, November 13, 2019

Russian Gatling Crew Progress

As I promised myself, I have started work on my Imperial Russian Gatling gun and crew. 

I have two poses I can use for the crew (that is, they are leftovers from those that will form the infantry units), and neither is particularly suited for the task. The one has their rifle held up by their face, and upon removal, I discovered that I'd have to sculpt a portion of the face - no thank you. 

So here is the pose I am working with:

Before is on the right, After is on the left. It makes no sense, but there you are.
And here is the current state of things:
I have some more filing to do on the one on the left so the green-stuff doesn't bulge Popeye-style. And yes, the arm on the right-hand figure looks insanely long, but that's the camera angle.
For the figure on the left, the bent arm was cut at the elbow and then green-stuff used to account for the now extended elbow.

For the figure on the right, the original arm was lopped off, shoulder included, just under the blanket roll (or great-coat, whatever that is). The new arm came from the much trusted Soviet Marx grenade thrower pose. I added green-stuff to the hand because in comparison to the AiP hands, the Marx hand looks like it came from a small child.I also had to green-stuff the arm to better match the AiP uniform appearance.

I hope to have this gun and crew ready to go shortly.

10 comments:

  1. Nicely done. The converted figures look to be in sufficiently generic crew-like poses to look good manning the gatling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Ross! Hopefully at some point I can acquire a third figure suitable for crew purposes. For now the third will be left as is, in a pose of defending the gun (not an unnecessary role by any means).

      Delete
  2. Awesome job! Hope to see them in a game soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Reese! My plan (a term used in the loosest of all possible senses) is to get them on the table during the Thanksgiving (US) holiday for a small game.

      Delete
  3. There's no stopping you now John, I foresee severed plastic limbs all over the place before long!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are quite literally all over the place - more than one has shot off upon removal (my cutting technique is best described as butchering), only to skitter across the floor never to be seen again.

      Delete
  4. Nice work John - the Gatling Gun is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Maudlin Jack! The Gatling is by Armies in Plastic and a very nice piece - although I did have some trouble getting the mold release/grease/etc off of it (and the one I did for the British some time ago). Initial priming attempts did not go so well.

      Delete