Wednesday, November 20, 2019

So Much to Do, So Little Time

Next Thursday, just a week from today, is Thanksgiving, here in the US. For the first time in eight years, I'll be spending it by myself (don't cry for me, Argentina) and so I am planning on turning it and the days immediately following, which I'll also have to myself, into a solo wargaming celebration of sorts. There is more to come on that front to be sure.

In the meantime, in between bouts of brainstorming what I'll put on the table next week, playing ASLSK, making rules tweaks for G Company and overhauling close combat for Company Fire, I have been working on my Gatling crew and another figure pair:

Clearly these are WiP.
The camel rider will be the "general" for the Gintanian army. An eccentric individual, he insists on riding dromedaries into battle regardless of geographic location. The camels don't seem to mind, most of the time.
And then there is this:

Soviet figure soup.
Contrary to popular opinion, the above is not an indictment of my culinary skills. This is the first stage of the figure preparation process - a soak in white vinegar and water.

For the curious, there are four figure manufacturers represented above: Marx, Airfix, Armies in Plastic, and "Supreme" (primarily Italeri knockoffs).

The "Supreme" (it's in quotes because I'm not sure that's really the manufacturer or a distributor or what) figures are the pre-paints (suitable for playing with as they are, but they don't really fit in with the rest of my Soviets, so...).

I purchased a pack of these a few years ago - they supplied my Soviet mortar and ATR. Recently I picked up two packs from Little Green Men (exceptionally fast service and low prices) to supply two more ATR and mortar bases. I also will be combining Supreme SMG figures together to form a three-base SMG unit.

The Marx figures + three of the Airfix figures will form an additional three base rifle unit (or additional bases for my existing three three-base units).This will use up nearly the remainder of my Marx Soviets.

One of the Airfix figures is an SMG figure that will be the basis for my attempt to make a Soviet flame thrower figure.

The AiP figure is a Cossack and will function as the general of the not-Russian colonial army.


8 comments:

  1. John the title of this post says it all!
    I've never heard of the Little Green Men store - they've got some nice stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not even sure how I heard of them but I was glad to find they have a lot of the figures I find myself using. Of note is that they still have some of the knock-off Airfix Germans (not Africa Korps) which seem to have disappeared from most sites.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. According to my research, this is how these plastic men like to cool down during a banya.

      Delete
  3. I applaud your plan! And you’ll not be alone next week - aside from your little plastic friends you’ve got us out here in blogland.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking forward to seeing how these figures turn out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Gatling crew should be done shortly, but I worry about all of those Soviets. I find myself being distracted by new project ideas - fortunately, the paint up pretty quickly given the rather drab uniforms, so hopefully they will be completed before the year is out.

      Delete